Geopolitical Darwin Awards

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Sep 20 20:38:25 PDT 2004

At 8:11 PM -0700 9/20/04, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>At 04:57 PM 9/19/04 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:
>
>>But the Saudi Arabian elite, of among which Bin Laden was born with a
>>silver spoon in his mouth, are not getting screwed over.
>
>1. you don't get religion
>2. UBL's mom was a low-caste yemeni, dig?

Actually, UBL's *dad* was a low-caste Yemeni, too.

And your point is?

Like all cultural components, religion is about the allocation of scarce
resources. War is the penultimate form of this kind of allocation. In fact,
the actual content of religion is immaterial, except where it affects the
ability of a culture to raise the resources to fight a *war*, which, as
Hanson puts it so nicely in "Carnage and Culture", is everything.

Because of its inability to raise the resources to fight a modern war --
capital (by several orders of magnitude, go look at a map with GDP
superimposed), and, most important the freedom to create new *science* to
produce that capital with, virtually out of thin air -- Islam is a dead
religion. It just doesn't know it yet.

UBL, and the entire Islamic culture, will eventually go the way of Hannibal
and Carthage.

Carthage sacrificed children to their gods too. Go for it, I say...

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA