Academics locked out by tight visa controls

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 20 07:03:57 PDT 2004

I guess I've been surprised this issue hasn't seen a lot more discussion.  It takes nothing more than to look at the names of the people doing PhDs and postdocs in any technical field to figure out that a lot of them are at least of Chinese, Indian, Arab, Iranian, Russian, etc., ancestry.  And only a little more time to find out that a lot of them are not citizens, and have a lot of hassles with respect to living and working here.  What do you suppose happens to the US lead in high-tech, when we *stop* drawing in some large fraction of the smartest, hardest-working thousandth of a percent of mankind?

--John