Geopolitical Darwin Awards

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 19 20:46:27 PDT 2004

James A. Donald:

>I don't recall the American revolutionaries herding children
>before them to clear minefields, nor surrounding themselves
>with children as human shields.

No, not minefields, but a good percentage of Washington's
army and that of the French, were children. Young boys were
taught the art of war as gofers and undercover spies among
the Brits. Some were caught and executed. Others packed
weapons and fought like men who welcomed their foolhardy
bravery when their manly courage withered.

Today, even the US uses children in war, 17 being the minimum
age to enlist. Others sneak in by lying about their age, some as
young as 14. Recruiters look the other way when the kids
and their parents lie. Been there, done that. Enlisted in the
army at 15, served months before being kicked out when a
relative ratted on me. Went in again at 17. That was not
uncommon then, and still is not. Good way to get away
from school and fucked up parents who use you like a
beast of burden -- in every age and country.

The military has found that teenagers are better fighters
than those over 21, more malleable, patriotic, healthy, ready
to kill when told it's okay. Older guys and gals think for
themselves too much to charge a machine gun. A kid
thinks life will never end. That's why it's not so hard
to cultivate suicide bombers.

Flying a $50 million plane is a piece of cake, no guts
required. Fuck those stand-off cowards in artillery,
the navy and air force. Grunts younger than 20 are
the universal soldier. Non-caucasians especially.

No need to mention today's Africans, the pre-teens and
teens Mao used effectively, the underage North Koreans
in the Korean Conflict, and not least the Amerindians who
taught kids from puberty to make war -- boys and girls.

It is worth pondering that older guys don't like war up
close, in fact the the further away it is the better they
like to promote it with Stallonian filmic ferocity -- witness
the current yellow-bellied administration, though hardly
the first to cry for war to be fought by disposable youngsters.

What older soft-gutted guys in all nations like most is the
Wagnerian tragedy, the soap opera sturm and drang, of
other people's suffering and death for their loose-screw
agenda.