Toward A Private Digital Economy: (Trusted transactions in an anonymous world)

Nostra2004 at SAFe-mail.net Nostra2004 at SAFe-mail.net
Sat Sep 18 16:06:56 PDT 2004

http://pelagic.wavyhill.xsmail.com/Private_Digital_Economy.html

Currently available financial privacy tools have drawbacks arising from centralized ownership and control, and the limitations of presenting specific services. A better approach would be to construct a fully distributed environment for economic activity which mimics the way cash is used in the physical world but is private, anonymous, trusted, and indestructible. A key to this variety is the element of locale, which we will explain in some detail.

We will introduce a 'Farmer's Market' model of anonymous commerce and expand it into a detailed functional description. We will explore business models viable in this environment and ways to connect them to the transparent banking world.

An anonymous economy must resolve issues of trust and reputation to be practical. We show how properties of number can be used to derive an 'algebra of trust' and exploited to reduce risk in anonymous transactions. Once reduced to a number, trust, like any other asset, can be quantified, evaluated, commoditized and even used as a currency. Algorithms that distribute data storage can distribute risk and trust once they are reduced to data. These things may overcome some of the barriers to the wide adoption of a private digital economy.