Symantec labels China censor-busting software as Trojan

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:57:50 PDT 2004

Hum, well, I always kind of thought May felt/wrote that some dis-assembly of
the state was inevitable given the possibility of strong crypto, and even in
China I would maintain that there's already enough computer power+anonymity
that encrypted communications can/will occur. (Remember, China is BIG...as
big as the mainland US plus Alaska, and much of it far less accessible...and
let's not forget that there are areas the size of Western Europe where Han
dominance is not particularly appreciated.) I tend to agree, though that the
bootstrapping process can be greatly retarded in the presence of a heavy
police state....but above a certain threshold it can unfold quickly.

What I wonder if whether W and his buddies were up late drinkin' one night
and figured out that we were nearing the threshold you speak of, a threshold
they believed they had to save humanity from. I mean, what if just anyone
could send any message they wanted without their government listening in?
Someone's gotta be in charge, after all, and it better be us and not the
ragheads 'cause God loves US and plans on sending all of them to hell unless
they see the error of their distinctly non-American ways.

-TD