Award#0442154 - Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Sep 15 16:52:59 PDT 2004

At 05:41 AM 9/15/04 -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>NSF Award Abstract - #0442154

Yeah, this is Science (snicker)...

>Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities

> Abstract
> The aim of this proposal is to develop new techniques for information
>gathering, analysis and modeling of chatroom communications. First, the

>investigator and his colleague consider graph-less models to capture
the
>structure of chatroom communications. In particular, the investigators
>study how to develop a multidimensional singular value decomposition

buzzword alert

>approach for component analysis of chatroom communication data. Second,
the
>investigators develop new visualisation techniques to display the

buzzword alert

>structural information found in the first step.

> Internet chatrooms provide an interactive and public forum of
>communication for participants with diverse objectives. Two properties
of
>chatrooms make them particularly vulnerable for exploitation by
malicious
>parties. First, the real identities of the participants are decoupled
from
>their chatroom nicknames.

As if email doesn't share that property?   You really think I work for
cdc.gov?

Second, multiple threads of communication can
>co-exist concurrently.

What a fucking concept...

Although human-monitoring of each chatroom to
>determine "who-is-chatting-with-whom" is possible, it is very time
>consuming, hence not scalable. Thus, it is very easy to conceal
malicious
>behavior in Internet chatrooms and use them for covert communications
>(e.g., adversary using a teenager chatroom to plan a terrorist act).

How about teenagers planning terrorist attacks?  Or terrorists' senior
proms?

This
>project aims at a fully automated surveillance system for data
collection
>and analysis in Internet chatrooms to discover hidden groups.

Use textual stego, mofo.

Thus, the proposed system could
>aid the intelligence community to discover hidden communities and
>communication patterns in chatrooms without human intervention.

A pretty good argument for broadcast stego.

> This award is supported jointly by the NSF and the Intelligence
Community.

I bet.

They already 0wn the fucking IX points, and can grab the DHCP records;
don't you think the spooks already do this, and more?

Look at Orion Sci, which graphs gangs.  Extrapolate to IP.

If these bozos were better they wouldn't be in Troy.