Symantec labels China censor-busting software as Trojan

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Sep 15 16:45:00 PDT 2004

At 09:45 AM 9/15/04 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>Hum. Seems the Chinese government is pretty effective at
self-preservation.
>Does this contradict the widely-held Cypherpunk belief in the
inevitability
>of deterioration of the state?

"We" have always held that a sufficiently policed state can defeat
crypto.
If the RIAA could put a vidcam in your computer room, things are easy.
If crypto is illegal, things are easy.  (We have remarked on how,
modulo stego, crypto traffic is trivial to detect with any entropy
measure.  Got PGP headers?)

China is a police state.  A state with freedom of expression ---which
does
not include much or all of Europe--- is less so.   China is also a
nukepower,
so it is likely to persist.