Symantec labels China censor-busting software as Trojan

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:45:45 PDT 2004

"We hope that the mislabelling of Freegate is a simple mistake, soon
rectified,
rather than yet another example of an IT firm helping Beijing implement
restrictions."

I'd say this was naive, but they give an example after this that shows they
know the score. Symantec wants in to China and their $$$, and Jong Nan Hai
holds the key.

Hum. Seems the Chinese government is pretty effective at self-preservation.
Does this contradict the widely-held Cypherpunk belief in the inevitability
of deterioration of the state?

Perhaps from a Crypto-anarchy perspective, there's a bootstrap point: once
there exceeds a certain level of state info-control, it's very hard to get
rid of it. Below that level it seems the state can't hold on. (Perhaps W is
a little smarter than we thought!)

-TD