will spammers early adopt hashcash? (Re: Spam Spotlight on

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Mon Sep 13 13:43:57 PDT 2004

Reputation)

Ben and Richard CLayton's paper makes several assumptions and we'll
see how those pan out in the field as time goes on.

We don't really know what the true cost of maintaining ownership of
many machines.  No doubt much lower than it should be because of poor
security on microsoft OSes.  But even so there must be some turn over
as the user instals AV, firewalls, gets cut off by ISP, gets IP
blacklisted etc.

The general argument is in the FAQ quoted below.

Essentially whatever resources spammers do have, hashcash is going to
slow them down because the balance of CPU power vs bandwidth is such
that 20-bit hashcahs with current hardware is likely to slow down the
output of a typical consumer destkop+DSL line down by afact or 10-100x
less spam.  (Depnds on CPU power, DSL uplink, and number of Bcc
recipients per message).  Hashcash costs equal cpu per Bcc recipient.
Without hashcash Bcc recipients to the same domain or to a hub cost a
tiny bit of bandwidth -- the size of the email address (+"RCPT TO
\r\n").

Will it be enough -- we don't know yet, but if widely deployed it
would make spammers adapt.  We just don't yet know how they will
adapt.

The other question Ben & Richards paper doesn't explore is the CAMRAM
way of using hashcash.  In this model you only pay hashcash for
_introductions_.  After parties have replied to a mail, the mail is
whitelisted (short term by address only (risky no auth, joe-job
hazard) medium term with CAMRAM email header signatures).  If simple
hashcash per mail turns out not to be enough, CAMRAM can increase the
work factor, as people do not reply to spammers; and many emails are
to-and-fro vs first introduction emails.  (So the sender can afford to
pay more on average).  Eric sent a spreadsheet with some of this type
of calculation.

There may also be some mileage in Hal Finney's RPOW
http://www.rpow.net where the legitimate user can re-use stamps he
receives.  (The scaling issues of the RPOW servers would need to be
engineered carefully, there are servers, they can be per eg domain ,
but still compared to hashash this is more infrastructure as hashcash
is pure end-to-end).

Adam

http://www.hashcash.org/faq/ 2c and 2d

| 2c But won't spammers steal CPU time?
|
| Spammers already compromise security on many users machines to make
| so-called "Zombie" armies to send spam from. However currently the
| rate at which spammers can send mail on a zombie machine is limited
| purely by the speed of those machine's internet links. A typical DSL
| user might be able to send 25 unique messages per second each of size
| 1KB (assumes 256kbit uplink). Or many more messages per second if the
| messages are delivered to multiple users at once (using multiple Cc or
| Bcc recipients). Even a 20-bit stamp takes 1/2 second per recipient on
| the highest end pc hardware at time of writing. This would slow
| spammers down by a factor of 10-100 or more per compromised machine
| (depending on whether the messages sent are sent individually or to
| many users at once).
|
| 2d But won't spammers deliver to many recipients at once?
|
| Spammers commonly optimize the amount of spam they can send over a
| given link speed by delivering messages to 100s or 1000s of Bcc
| recipients at once directly to an end-site, or to an ISP mail-hub. In
| this way they can consume just 3.5KB of bandwidth in sending messages
| to 100 recipients compared to the 100KB which would be used to send
| each message separately. This would allow a spammer to send 700
| messages per second (assumes DSL with 256kbit uplink).
|
| Delivering in batches reduces the degree of customization the spammer
| can make because all of the message bodies in a batch have to be the
| same, but never-the-less is a trick spammers commonly use to increase
| the number of mails per second they can send.
|
| However with hashcash a separate stamp is required for each individual
| recipient, which stops this spammer trick. If the spammer has to put a
| hashcash stamp for each recipient, even a 3Ghz Pentium 4 can only
| generate 2 stamps per second, compared to 700 per second with no
| hashcash, so using hashcash in this scenario slows the number of mails
| the spammer can send by 350x.

Adam

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:37:47AM -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:18:32PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> | Adam Shostack wrote:

> | >Adam,
> | >
> | >	You've thought about this more than me.  What do you see as
> | >equilibrium postal rates if the spammers have 10k, 100k, or a million
> | >nodes to send?
> | >
> | >        Will spammers run under nice?  Use your graphics card as a
> | >co-processor?  Is the rate of new vulns high enough to keep their CPU
> | >pools filled?
> |
> | We have some figures for that kind of stuff in
> | http://www.apache-ssl.org/proofwork.pdf.
>
> Thanks!  That was exactly what I was hoping wouldn't get said, because
> I no longer believe that hashcash is substantially useful.
>
> Adam S

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA