"Forest Fire" responsible for a 2.5mi *mushroom cloud*?

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Sep 13 09:44:50 PDT 2004

At 06:23 PM 9/12/04 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>I had thought that one of the main tests was seismic...from what I
>understood, Seismic monitors in the US can detect nu-cu-lar tests
(above or
>below ground) and even guess where and the size of the blast.

Yes.  Seismic sensors see some foreshock activity before an earthquake
including the big ones.
A nuke starts instantly.  Standard S & P wave triangulation gives you
the location.   You can try to hide a blast (in sand; or in an excavated

void) but its tough.

At 06:50 AM 9/13/04 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>About 4.5 kT of 50:50 ammonium nitrate/ammonium sulfate mix. One of the

>largest, if not *the* largest nonnuclear explosions ever.

Ammonium sulphate would not have exploded.  Its the nitrate that is the
fun group.  It has an oxygen surplus, so anythign (like the rest of the
ship)
vaporized by the detonation would probaby burn.  Fuel oil is cheap;
aluminum dust is more energetic.

At 10:40 PM 9/12/04 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>No FO, just AN all by itself.  NH4NO3 turns into N2 + 2H2O + O,

Slow decomposition yields nitrous oxide, ie the fun oxide.
19th century chemistry.  (And anesthesiology!)

>The first earthquake-like event I experienced was when a
>chemical plant across the river from where I lived blew up;
>I think it was a fertilizer plant of some sort.
>(I was in Delaware; the plant was in New Jersey, and it was ~1968.)

The DuPont black powder & nitro plants in Delaware have three strong
walls, the weak side faces the river.  When they blow up, its much
safer.  Unless you're on
the river, of course.

The N Korean blast could have been their missiles blowing up due to
screw ups.  There's a lot of energy in the fuels.  Or it could have been

a test of their nuke-testing systems.

The media uses the phrase "October surprise", if NK detonates just
before the elections.  Of course, others are working on their own
October gift to W.

When the WTC towers fell, it was something like a 3 on the Richter
scale.
Lots of gravitational energy.