Intego ChatBarrier X3 10.3.2

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Sep 10 04:58:50 PDT 2004

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23714>

VersionTracker

 Intego ChatBarrier X3
 encryption for iChat instant messaging
 E-mail a Friend about Intego ChatBarrier X3

Download Now
 ( File Size: 5.0M )

All Time:

Overall Rating:? (2.2)
This Version:

Overall Rating:
 Not rated (0.0)

Ease of Use:
 Not rated (0.0)

Support:
 Not rated (0.0)

Features:
 Not rated (0.0)

Quality / Stability:
 Not rated (0.0)

Price:
 Not rated (0.0)

Company:
Intego

Developer Page:
Product Info
Current Version:
 10.3.2

Release Date:
 2004-09-09
License:
 Update

Downloads (this version)
 85
Downloads (all versions)
 671

Price:
 $39.95

View Screenshots

Select Intego ChatBarrier X3 Version:  What's this

Product Description:
 Intego ChatBarrier works in conjunction with Apple's iChat instant
messaging software to provide two-way, real-time encryption of text chats.
Intego ChatBarrier is easy to use, transparent, and inviolable, using
military-grade 512-bit encryption that no one can break. When Intego
ChatBarrier is installed, a simple click of a button turns on its
functions, and any text you send during a chat using iChat is encrypted.
Only a user who also has Intego ChatBarrier installed, and to whom you send
a message, will be able to decrypt it. Neither the sender nor the receiver
has to do anything other than activate Intego ChatBarrier for encryption
and decryption to occur.

What's new in this version:
 Bug fixes.

Product Requirements:
 Mac OS X 10.2.3 or later

Screen Shots:

See More:  View Slideshow (new window)

 Download Links:
Download Intego ChatBarrier X3 Now  (File Size: 5.0M)

Latest Feedback:View All (8) |

Finally   tombovo  ??
 Version: 10.3.1, 7/11/2004 06:18PM PST
 This is a long needed product. Installation was easy, and using it seems a
little too easy. I would like to see more information on the encryption
type and how it works, its priced a little high for a one-trick-pony, and
its pretty simplistic in how you use this, so i have to reduce its rating
one star. I do like its integration with NetUpdate so i can update
NetBarrier along with this product.  More Info

 Post a comment | alert admin  |

Vendor without a clue   LEoOfBORG  ??
 Version: 1.0, 7/6/2004 06:18PM PST
 I installed this, and while I didn't have anyone to try this out with,
here are some observations.

 1 Why does this hack need -2- Preference Panes? Prefpane #1 (The on-off
switch) is simply that. This should not be in PrefPanes, but in iChat
itself.

 2 The 'Net Update' Pref Pane does more of a service for Intego than the
user. There are -2- checkboxes for 'Opt-in Spam' from Intego. And -why- do
they need an email address -and- password for the updater?

 All in all, this comes across as some marketing flunkys idea of what's
good for Windows is good for MacOSX. It's obvious that Intego doesn't know
how to integrate with MacOSX. So, to recap;

 1/ Put Settings and functionality for the app you are enhancing IN THE APP
ITSELF -- NOT IN THE OS. If you need a primer on how to do this, look at
the FREE sofware PithHelmet with its Safari integration.

 2/ If you expect to receive $40 for your hack, don't add insult to injury
by bloating our systems with extra flotsam like 'Opt-in Spam' in the Net
Update. That is just plain insulting. Shareware authors have version
checking down to one menu item. Why do you need such a convoluted updater,
Intego?

 To top off what others have been saying about how Apple may just have this
functionality in the next version of iChat anyway (it's SSL, and Windows
folks already have it), Bitwise and Fire have encryption capabilities for
FREE. Also, if you really NEED crypto, PGP also has an Encryption service
built into the service menu. You can encrypt text to your chat partner's
public key and -know- that its meant only for them (and is not just some
SSL stream). Concieveable you could mix 'chatty' cleartext with PGP's
2048-bit encryption, which blows Intego's away.

 In short, if you're willing to do some homework, there are alternatives
out there that smoke this hack. Don't fall for this Windows vendor's price
taking, learn about Crypto. At the very least, pick up PGP Freeware. Or
personal desktop, which costs the same, is applicable to a number of
applications, and DOES NOT EXPIRE after one year (I read Intego's license).

 That being said, at least it comes with a de-installer.  More Info

 Comments: 2 | alert admin  |  2 of 3 users found this helpful

ChatBarrier V3   Helpinghand  ??
 Version: 1.0, 6/27/2004 06:01PM PST
 I have used it and it works as they say as far as I can tell. Price could
be better but over all its not a bad product, I also use their netbarrier
and it works great.  Its a nice product for saying things you don't want
carnivor to see but its not a must for everyone.  More Info

 Post a comment | alert admin  |

View All(8) |

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA