Remailers an unsolveable paradox?

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sat Sep 4 13:04:22 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 09:50:14PM +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Let's take our shining example of truth and freedom, the whistle-blower.
> When they send out mail to the media or whomever, one of two things happens:
> they see the story published or they don't. If not, there's no idea why: was
> it received? Did the media want more information? Did they need more
> support? Do they want to verify it? Do they want to help the whistle-blower?
> Even if the story is published, whistle-blowing is kneecapped: it can't be
> supported, or expanded on, or debated in any but the most rudimentary
> fashion.

It's easy. The whistleblower says: if you want more info, post your questions
encrypted with this PGP key I just generated to alt.test.messages with a
subject that contains "Fluffy Bunnies", and I will reply to you. Of course
they'll want to trash that key pretty quickly afterward, since it's "proof"
that they where the whistleblower. Obviously that is more technical that many
journalists could handle, but nothing saying it can't be largely automated with
a web frontend stuck on it.

And don't most/all remailers support responder blocks?

-Jack