gmail as a gigabyte of an external filesystem

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Thu Sep 2 19:44:58 PDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> Question for the crowd: How difficult it would be to write a suitable
> crypto engine as a plug-in module for FUSE itself? Then we could have
> support for encrypted files on any filesystem accessible through FUSE.
>
> -----------
> http://www.boingboing.net/2004/08/29/turn_gmail_storage_i.html

It seems that there is a solution Out There already, in the form of EncFS.
See http://arg0.net/users/vgough/encfs.html

Mount the GmailFS as eg. /mnt/gmail, and then mount encfs to eg.
/mnt/gmailsec with /mnt/gmail as its root.

Voila, problem solved! (At least theoretically. I didn't test it.)

What are your thoughts on EncFS, please?

Related note: Is there a way to encrypt a removable medium, eg. a CD or
DVD disk, in a way that makes it readable under all major OSs (with the
required add-ons installed), namely Linux, BSD, and Windows 98/2000/XP?
The appeal (and a certain disadvantage) of EncFS is its file-oriented
approach, making it easy to have a portable userspace decoding utility,
for data access anywhere if you got the password.