The cages on the Hudson, AKA Little Guantanamo (fwd)

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Wed Sep 1 18:02:18 PDT 2004

Um, don't know what you've been smoking but:

a. there is no "we", except individuals with the freedom to chose their
own actions.

b. cops have guns.

c. some cops have armor and semi (or full?) automatics along with the
"non-lethal" weaponry.

d. non-cops don't and aren't allowed to carry the same weaponry. (Unless
your version of "we" includes some arsenal and has been watching lots of
A-Team reruns, I doubt that there's not much the cops can't do and mostly
get away with it.)

Yeah, "Not totally." Just like Red China isn't a total totalitarian state,
and it allowed the students at Tienamen Sq to demonstrate.  We're not too
far away from that, except these cops don't (yet?) have tanks and as far
as has been reported in the media, haven't murdered anyone in the
protests, and that the arrested have been let out a few days later rather
than tortured.

It's certainly inching towards totalitarianism and away from "the right of
the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a
redress" (not, there's nothing in that text about protest pens, open your
bag searches, show me your ID, or protest permits.)

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.