Remailers an unsolveable paradox?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:46:22 PDT 2004

Variola wrote...

> >    Making sure we have robust remailing services in one shape or
> >another and at the same time have some kind of at least indirect
> >acceptance from legislators and also a low degree of spam flowing
> >through are essential goals.
>
>Any legislator seeking to control how people use a communications
>medium needs killing.

Well, although the sentiment is appreciated, I'm not sure it's well applied
in this case.

What this guy seems to be saying is that it's better to 'solve' the SPAM
problem now rather than waiting for legislators to use Spam as a reason to
try to shut down the remailers (and this seems distinctly possible
particularly if George W makes it to his 3rd term!). I don't think the guy
is looking for state-ish 'OK', but pointing out that things get a lot more
difficult if/when remailers or their use is outlawed.  Like back in the day
when I used to toke on a regular basis...I sure was going to keep scoring
nicklebags and whatnot, but my count would probably have been better at my
potstore if it were legal. (And yes, a potstore...there's tons of them in
NYC with plexiglass walls and a few canned food props lying around. You
stand in line and order your nickel/dime bag just like buying tokens.)

The hascash idea is OK, and obviously will work (as of now...the dividing
line between human and machine is clearly not static, and smarter spam
operations will start doing some segmentation analysis and then find it
worthwhile to pay up). But the kind of person that may have legitimate need
of a remailer may not understand and/or trust what would probably be
necessary to use hashcash. And OK "that's their tough luck", but then I
always feel there's safety in numbers.

-TD