Remailers an unsolveable paradox?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 07:10:50 PDT 2004

Some good points, Johnny.

I'm not convinced Spam and the remailers are inherently incompatible. Or at
least, I'm thinking there's a sort of uncertainty principle that should work
between legit remailable messages and spam.

it may be a tricky business, but I suspect that the need of spammers to send
out huge numbers of messages may be exploitable. Hell...they may in some
ways be an asset if handled correctly: Much easier to hide remailed messages
in larger torrents than in sparsely trafficked remailer networks.

And of course, it may be that the need to sell goods (ie, from a specific
URL) means that anonymity is not so useful, particularly if there are
time+bandwidth constraints on portions of the network (eg a remailer has a
max bandwidth that gets throttled back if there's a large woosh of traffic
in a certain period of time).

So I don't think the problem is unsolvable, but I agree with your essential
point that it needs looking into.

-TD