Winning still matters, etc...

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Oct 30 21:21:17 PDT 2004

At 05:09 PM 10/30/04 -0400, R.A. Hettinga wrote:
>The terrorists cannot win either a conventional or an asymmetrical war
>against the United States, should it bring its full array of assets to
the
>struggle.

The large pit of smoldering radioactive glass is probably not an
option..

>The improvised explosive device is a metaphor for our time. The killers

>cannot even make the artillery shells or the timers that detonate the
>bombs, but like parasites they use Western or Western-designed weaponry
>harvest Westerners.

The "cannot even make" is patently offensive; why do nitration when what
you
need is around?  And how many Americans could wire a Casio or Nokia
to a det cap on their own?

They cannot blow up enough Abrams tanks or even Humvees
>to alter the battlefield landscape.

Obviously the US mil industrial machine is not the weak link.

But what they can accomplish is to maim
>or kill a few hundred Westerners in hopes that our own media will
magnify
>the trauma and savagery of their attack - and do so often enough to
make
>300 million of us become exhausted with the entire "mess."

Say 10 years from now, the dead marine count is in the high 5 figures,
(perhaps they are drafted), there's more snuff-videos than porn on the
web, the US *will* give up and leave, and the Jihad LLC will have won.

10 years, 20 years, whatever.   Persistance works.  And the martyrs
enjoy
the virgins, at best the infidels play harps and fly around the clouds,
yawn.

I'll see your IED and raise you Brittney's belly-button.