Donald's Job Description

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Oct 27 18:14:13 PDT 2004

At 05:11 PM 10/27/2004, Dave Howe wrote:
>Tyler Durden wrote:
>>I'm sure there are several Cypherpunks who would be very quick to
>>describe Kerry as "needs killing".
>but presumably, lower down the list than shrub and his current advisors?

Oh, definitely much lower(even if he wins :-).
And if he loses, he ought to take Nader's place as the
"spoiled the election" guy, or at least Dukakis's.
They say we've got the best politicians money can buy,
but we sure should be able to buy better politicians than him.

Kerry was one of the worst runnable Democrats they could find.
Edwards was worse, and at the time I thought Gephardt was worse,
though Kerry's chickened out enough that he might not win,
which would be worse than Gephardt winning.
Kerry's a content-free stuffed shirt who no longer has the guts
that he had during his anti-war days, which is a big problem
in a campaign about emotions and values and Fearmongering,
and Edwards is all pretty face with no apparent soul either.

He's thoroughly failed to propose anything positive or concrete
(saying "Help is on the way" just doesn't cut it,
especially if you don't have anything to offer except not being Bush)
and he's let his "I'm a war hero" stance
get in the way of bashing Bush's incompetence in the war
and bashing Bush's fundamental dishonesty.
He's let Karl Rove dominate the emotional campaign,
and failed to take the high road aggressively
but tried to fight back against Rove on Rove's territory, which is futile.

The only time he really got anywhere emotionally was during
the parts of the debates where he would talk about how Bush's father did x/y/z
and Bush Jr. wasn't up to it, which left Bush squirming at his podium,
and he failed to catch on to the fact that Bush-o-nomics is
the same Voodoo Economics that Bush Sr. criticized when he was
running against Reagan.

Howard Dean would have been fun, but he was enough of a threat
to the establishment that they had to stop him
(especially the Democratic establishment,
because he was rebuilding an actual political party with
some grass roots in it as opposed to the current pure astroturf.)
And MoveOn seems to have mostly disappeared.