Seld-defeating US foreign policy

Will Morton macavity at well.com
Thu Oct 21 10:33:22 PDT 2004

Tyler Durden wrote:

> But of course, we were still in the middle of McCarthy-ism, so way too
> ideologically blind to see the obvious. As a result we continued to
> mindlessly pursue ideology rather than practicality and so ended
> really making things worse in SE Asia, in a place where Marxism was
> really a useful but temporary veneer over local politics (again we
> were too blind to see that Marxism was a western transplant that
> wasn't going to do too well in Asia). And we're doing it again...(eg,
> we had some chances with Iran recently that we passed up...that was
> really stupid, and the Iranians seem to know it).

    The US missed a real trick when Khatami got into power in 1997; he
had a huge swell of popular support behind him, and with significant US
backing he could probably have outmaneuvered the conservatives and made
some real changes.  A truly democratic Persian state would be a huge
boost to stability in the Middle East, not to mention the psyops
benefits of having a poster-child for moderate, tolerant Islam.
Instead, we had the 'axis of evil' hogwash, and lo: the conservatives
marginalise Khatami, and we're back to abayas, beards and jihad.

    Of course the more cynical might think that this lack of stability
is entirely deliberate on the part of the US.  Better to have pet
tyrants who require American military aid to suppress dissent, and hence
ensure ongoing access to oil fields, or else loonies who spit vitriol
about The Great Satan and ensure their own irrelevance (in which case
the oil stays underground, waiting for a more economically realistic
owner).  Stable regimes with the ability to sell oil on the world stage
might start throwing their geopolitical weight around.  Venezuela, anyone?