Seld-defeating US foreign policy

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:28:33 PDT 2004

>As I said, an Islamic regime is objectionable if it tolerates
>terror against non islamic minorities, thus creating, perhaps
>unintentionally, an environment that facilitates terror against
>external infidels - that is to say, terror against me and
>people like me.

You say a lot of wacky stuff, so it suprises me that I find this pragraph to
actually make some sense.

> > In this context a very strong case can be made that the US
> > caused the Khmer Rouge to come to power, precisely by
> > performing in a way similar to what you espouse.
>
>That "case" is a nutty rationalization put forward by the
>former fans of the Khmer Rouge to rationalize their bad
>conduct.

No. You've got to do more reading. Sihoanouk was in power and loosely held a
coalition together. In part because he believed it and in part because it
was necessary to hold this coalition together, Sihoanouk did not spout
particularly pro-American rhetoric. As a result, the US/CIA backed Lon Nol
to overthrow Sihoanouk. Lon Nol could by no means hold things together , so
in swept the Khmer Rouge, backed by Mao and the Chicoms.

Let's remember some facts here: The US backed the ferociously corrupt Chiang
regime, even helping them sack China's treasuries. The US fought China in
Korea and was now occupying it. MacArthur threatened to make China a nuclear
"Parking Lot". The US was in Vietnam trying to fight their way up. So it
would have been pretty evident to anyone watching that the US was trying to
undermine the PRC. In fact, this was also a main motivation for the Cultural
Revolution: Mao wanted to move heavy industry out into the countryside, away
from easy bomb-ability by the Americans. (Of course, that idea was actually
used by Mao for consolidating his politcal power which was always with the
peasants, but that's besides the point).

Mao did the reasonable thing and fought us (and won) in all 3 theaters. I'll
agree with you pretty quickly if you say Mao was a fairly Stalinist butcher,
but in any event he made use of the Khmer Rouge to push a US-backed puppet
out of the peninsula. Note that only after Mao kicked our asses repeatedly
did Nixon and Kissinger decide to make friends with Mao and the PRC (which
was the smart thing to do all along after the Sino-Soviet split).

What if the US had not followed such an aggressive policy towards the PRC?
Chinese history gives us a clear indication: They would never have backed
the Khmer Rouge. (Sihoanouk regularly traveled to China before and after
that time, BTW, and was moderately friendly with Jong Nan Hai.) In addition,
the notion of having to hide Chinese industry from the Americans could never
have been used as a credible reason for lauching the Cultural Revolution.

In the end, our policies in SE Asia likely caused millions to be killed, and
in the end were self-defeating. A complete fiasco. And the same thing is
happening in the Middle East.

So even if one agrees that your goals are 'admirable' (and I question that),
your methods would also be a complete, unmitigated disaster.

-TD