immune system diseases, TSA, false positives

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Oct 20 21:55:11 PDT 2004

An immune system is a great thing until it attacks the self.

In part this can be due to the limited size of recognized motifs.
For instance, the string "David Nelson" triggers the TSA goons.
If you add the phonetic-similarity recognition (required
when you transcode arabic names), the matching string-set
grows even larger.  Any reports from Dave Nelsohns out there?

At work the IT-dept-installed AV software on my PC found a virus.
Only it was an object file I had just cross-compiled, for an obscure
Freescale (nee Motorola) CPU.  It promptly notified me and
moved my binary.  Breaking my build.  Costing the company
my time, and another engineer's to resolve it.  By suppressing
the immune system, at least in one region; the cornea is readily
transplanted because the immune system can't touch it.

I suppose anyone who's pregnancy has been endangered by
Rh incompatability knows the dangers of friend or foe vigilance.
Interesting
security parable, I thought, anyway.

Another case: Bush campaigning in FLA.  His security parade prevents my
folks, living there, from voting, that day.   (One of many states with
early
voting, now.)  The irony overwhelms.

"Terrorists are the only true avant-garde artists because they're the
only ones who are still capable of really surprising people."
---Laurie Anderson (official artist of NASA..)