Airport insanity

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Oct 19 14:41:49 PDT 2004

    --
On 19 Oct 2004 at 14:46, John Young wrote:
> you appear not to understand that much of current US military
> doctrine is aimed at terrorizing enemy forces, en masse, into
> submission, not merely courageously killing each combatant,
> mano a mano.
>
> Carpet bombing, bunker-busting, cruise missles, stealth
> attacks, artillery barrages, and tactical and strategic
> attacks with overwhelming forces in multiples of the opposing
> force, the so-called "shock and awe," are intended to
> demoralize and terrify the opposition including civilian
> supporters. These attacks require little or no courage to
> execute, for most are accomplished with stand-off or
> remote-controlled platforms, guided by long-radar, GPS, and
> satellites, systems operated by clean-uniformed technicians
> who don't bear personal arms, even take showers daily and
> watch TV of their carnage for entertainment.

If only it were true.  That is why I recommend readily
achievable goals, like stealing the oil, rather than goals that
require direct involvment mano a mano.

But in reality, the US government is pursuing goals such as
"building democracy" that require Americans to walk the streets
of Baghdad, a daily exercise of tremendous courage.

Here is my prescription for winning the war on terrorism

We SHOULD rely on shock and awe, administered by men in white
coats far from the scene.

A number of governments are disturbingly tolerant of terror.
Usually they are only tolerant of terror against their non
Islamic subjects, and disapprove of external terror committed
by their subjects against outsiders, but the two cannot readily
be separated.  One leads to the other.

The US government should expose and condemn these objectionable
practices, subvert moderately objectionable regimes, and
annihilate more objectionable regimes.  The pentagon should
deprive moderately objectionable regimes of economic resources,
by stealing their oil, destroying their water systems, and
cutting off their trade and population movements with the
outside world.

Syria should suffer annihilation, Iran subversion, Sudan some
combination of annihilation and subversion, Saudi Arabia and
similar less objectionable regimes should suffer confiscation
of oil, destruction of water resources, and loss of contact
with the outside world.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     e1oHDIrpt6CyLSJ0viuvD+nsJlXpjVCUxG/FZL0R
     4eteebtmUGC9WtT7zAMaOVdF81wmFCSz8fug2AQef