Airport insanity

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:34:06 PDT 2004

Bill Stewart wrote...

>Unfortunately, the primary algorithm seems to work like this:
>- Somebody puts a name on some list because it seems like a
>         good idea at the time, and there's no due process required.
>- Everybody copies lists from everybody else,
>         with minimal attempt to track where the information comes from.
>- Database corruption propagates rapidly, so anybody who's on
>         any list because of political corruption like Neo-Cointelpro
>         stays there because of database corruption.

And if we add local "intelligence" in the form of allowing airport screeners
to act on their hunches, then there's one more step:

Airport Screener didn't get her child-support check from the ex and as a
result is saving her crack for lunchtime...frisks well-heeled and arguably
spolied white-guy with a little 'tude who proceeds to give said screener
some 'feedback'...Airport screener figures she'll brighten up her own
morning and prevents said white-guy from flying: "Hey, something told me
this guy was trouble, so fire me and I'll work for Starbucks instead."

One day, I may be willing to subscribe to the commonly held cypherpunk
belief that any law from a government is basically a bad thing, but AFAIC we
don't need to get that far yet. When laws boil down the decision-in-a-vacuum
and whim of the enforcer, Break out the Zombie patriots.

-TD