Airport insanity

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Oct 18 20:54:02 PDT 2004

>Damian Gerow
> > I've had more than one comment about my ID photos that amount
> > to basically: "You look like you've just left a terrorist
> > training camp."

As Erma Bombeck wrote, by the time you look like your
passport photo, it's time to come home from vacation.
An extra couple of red-eye flights don't help, either.

At 11:27 AM 10/16/2004, James A. Donald wrote:
>If you really look like the shoe bomber, then you should have
>to drive, or use public transport.

James misspoke here - the only public air transport I'm aware of
in the US is run by the military, and or if he meant
that people who look like shaggy-haired Brits with real leather shoes
should be banned from privately-run transportation systems like
airplanes and Greyhound, that pretty much leaves
Amtrack as the only long-distance transport option for civilians,
since city and county busses normally don't go very far.

At 11:27 AM 10/16/2004, James A. Donald wrote:
 > > Provided the number of people you throw off planes is
 > > rather small, I don't see the problem.

Depends a lot on how high up the planes are when you throw them off...

There's the concept of "due process of law" that
the Bush administration isn't very familiar with
that determines when you're Constitutionally permitted
to deprive people of their liberties.

At 11:38 AM 10/18/2004, Thomas Shaddack wrote:
 > Personally, as a relatively frequent flyer, I worry much more about things
 > like cutting corners of fuselage and engine maintenance and quality of
 > fuel (and, perhaps even more, the quality of onboard coffee) than about
 > bombers on board.
Unfortunately, cutting the quality of the onboard coffee means that
you're more likely to look like a shoe-bomber by the time the
plane arrives.

----
Bill Stewart  bill.stewart at pobox.com