Airport insanity

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:47:06 PDT 2004

WOW!

Let's examine your little clip here.

>Tyler Durden
> > "Care to Avoid harming Muslims"?

Your statement was that the US took special care in avoiding harm to
Muslims. In this case we have Muslims tortured at Guantanamo and now angry
as hell. And you expected...what?

>http://washingtontimes.com/national/20041018-124854-2279r.htm
>: :	Despite gaining their freedom by signing pledges to
>: :	renounce violence, at least seven former prisoners
>: :	of the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have
>: :	returned to terrorism, at times with deadly
>: :	consequences.

Wow! Tortured prisoners signed statements and then went back on their
promises? The nerve!

Note the incredible linguistic bias. "Returned to terrorism?...That's a
laughable statement for people who returned to their own country to fight an
invader. And the word "Despite" it's arguable even more hilarious.

And of course, your quote of this piece in this context points to your
ever-present logic of "They're more evil than we are therefore it's OK if we
fuck them over".

>: :	Additional former detainees have expressed a desire
>: :	to rejoin the fight, be it against U.N. peacekeepers
>: :	in Afghanistan, Americans in Iraq or Russian
>: :	soldiers in Chechnya.

Hum. Muislims helping Muslims to push the US or Russians out of their
occupied countries. I've seen worse uses for religion.

But more importantly, are you seeing where this is headed? Let's forget
differing ideologies and get really, really practical here. If you or I were
grabbed in our own country and brought 7000 miles away, and then tortured
for 2 years, wouldn't you most likely become convinced that the torturing
nation was a great evil that had to be stopped? Even more, what if your life
sucked in your own country and you didn't have a lot to live for anyway?

The violence sown by Western powers will continue to result in further
Septemeber 11ths. Simply increasing the scope or intensity (a la Iraq II)
isn't going to make things better.

-TD