Airport insanity

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Oct 18 11:22:02 PDT 2004

I think you need to read this remake of the "First they came for the
commies" poem.  Short translation - whenever anyone's rights are being
trampled upon, whether it affects you or not, you should protest.

Goes along with one of the unsaid credos about cypherpunks: "I absolutely
disagree with what she said, but I'll defend to the death her right to say
it." which along with "Cypherpunks write code" fell quite short of its
goal.

http://buffaloreport.com/021123rohde.html

Here I'll save you the trouble.

- - -

They came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up...

By Stephen Rohde

(Author's Note:  The USA Patriot Act became law a little over one year
ago.)

First they came for the Muslims, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
Muslim.

Then they came for the immigrants, detaining them indefinitely solely on
the certification of the attorney general, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't an immigrant.

Then they came to eavesdrop on suspects consulting with their attorneys,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a suspect.

Then they came to prosecute noncitizens before secret military
commissions, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a noncitizen.

Then they came to enter homes and offices for unannounced "sneak and peak"
searches, and I didn't speak up because I had nothing to hide.

Then they came to reinstate Cointelpro and resume the infiltration and
surveillance of domestic religious and political groups, and I didn't
speak up because I no longer participated in any groups.

Then they came to arrest American citizens and hold them indefinitely
without any charges and without access to lawyers, and I didn't speak up
because I would never be arrested.

Then they came to institute TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention
System) recruiting citizens to spy on other citizens and I didn't speak up
because I was afraid.

Then they came for anyone who objected to government policy because it
only aided the terrorists and gave ammunition to America's enemies, and I
didn't  speak up ... because I didn't speak up.

Then they came for me, and by that time, no one was left to speak up.

    Forum Column (from the Daily Journal, 11/20/02). Stephen Rohde is an
attorney. He edited American Words of Freedom and was was president of the
American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

Does Rohde's text seem familiar? It should. He based it on one of the
web's most widely-circulated texts about silence in the face of evil:

        In Germany, the Nazis first came for the communists, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I
didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade
unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then
they came for the Catholics, but I didn't speak up because I was a
protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak for me.

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.