Airport insanity

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Sun Oct 17 07:33:42 PDT 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, James A. Donald wrote:

>     --
> James A. Donald:
>
> Thomas Shaddack
> > Ever tried to drive to Europe? Or to Hawaii?
>
> Hard biscuit

Do I interpret this statement correctly as the endorsement of
ethnicity-based travel restrictions?

Didn't domething like this been here already, in the form of Jim Crow
laws, and later found unconstitutional?

> > Why airplanes don't count as a form of public transport?
>
> They do.

I am afraid either I don't understand you correctly, or you are
contradicting yourself. The "...or use public transport" from your earlier
statement seems to mean that you said something along the lines "if they
can't fly, they should use public transportation, which includes
airplanes".

> > This is a measure good for pissing off (which is often the
> > first step to radicalizing) the quite secularized majority of
> > American Arabs.
>
> The proposition that we need to walk delicately for fear of
> disturbing the tender sensibilities of arabs seems laughable.

Being told I can't use some quite common resource, in this case an
important means of transportation, because of so irrelevant factor as
ethnicity, isn't exactly delicate. What would you do if you'd be in the
receiving end of such policy? Add more such restrictions and some
percolating time - would you just bow and obey? How long it would take to
get you pissed and eventually revolting?

> Are the arabs walking delicately to avoid offending our
> sensibilities?

Vast majority of them yes. But you don't perceive them because they don't
offend you and don't make the news.

> > You also seem to forget there is another potential factor -
> > not only the visible one (ethnicity), but also one that isn't
> > obvious to visual evaluation - religion. There is a
> > significant black minority that inclines to Islam, some of
> > them potentially radical. Do you want to suggest banning
> > blacks from flying too?
>
> Seen any black suicide bombers?

Not yet. But maybe I just didn't look deep enough through the mass-medial
fog of the terrorism "war".

> Black Muslim radicalism tends to express itself by mugging Jews and
> stealing television sets. Strapping dynamite to one's chest just does
> not seem to be a black thing.

With the proper leadership, everything is possible. Don't forget the
WW2 kamikaze pilots, who weren't quite Arabs.