(un)intended anonymity feature of gmail

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 23:19:19 PDT 2004

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems impossible to divine the
origination IP address from gmail-sourced e-mail headers. The first IP (the
last header) has 10.*.*.* form and is of course internal to google.

This is not the case with any other e-mail service I know of (mixmaster
excluded), the real originating IP is always included.

So the recipient of gmail message has no way of determining what the sender's
real IP is.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: