Chance plays a key role in start-up company's success

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 09:05:50 PDT 2004

Well, as a research toy QC seems gee-wiz super cool.

I'm still not super-impressed by the current set of applications.

In particular, consider that random number generator. Although QM does
indeed predict that experimental outcomes will be 'random', they are random
within the weightings imposed by the measuring apparatus. In a sense, this
is the perfect analog to the notion that, "Your crypto algorithm may be
unbreakable, but your hard/software ain't."

Consider...I set up my random number generator to spit out a 1 every time a
photon passes through a half-silvered mirror, and a 0 every time it
reflects. Over time the silvering on the mirror is going to degrade, or
perhaps it's already not perfect but you need a large number of
'measurements' and/or analysis to begin to see it. In any event, your
probabilities are going to shift over time, yielding an imperfect
distribution of 0s/1s. Sure, it's still "random", but the probability
density function is no longer useful for many applications.

Right now I can't see why this would be any more desirable than, for
instance, grabbing the outcome of some distinctly nonlinear process, or
perhaps many other approaches to RNG. The only thing this does is allow
users/buyers to think their system is now free of any deep technical issues
that may make classical systems insecure.

-TD