Financial identity is *dangerous*? (was re: Fake companies, real money)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 07:38:32 PDT 2004

OK, I'll bite. Or rather...

Well, your initial postulate was stated in such a way as to be fairly
unrefutable, the key word being "float". Only companies, etc...provide that
by requiring that the transacted funds flow through their coffers for a
moment, where they extract their discount revenue. At this stage of the
game, nobody when their head screwed on tight would argue that
Internet-based businesses don't represent an increase in Risk (whether that
increase will eventually make float-based business models impossible is an
entirely different matter).

Interestingly, the Visa organization recently launched a Purchasing Card
platform which merely facilitates EFTs (a step towards your oft-mentioned
"Geodesic Society"?)...there's a fixed and small discount revenue touch
that's independent of the size of the transaction (and they can afford to do
this because there's no float, ergo no risk). In this case, Visa is
providing "value added" information systems for the transactions, but in a
sense they're allowing their member banks to more or less completely step
out of the transaction if they wish.

Now of course, Paragraph 2 is only related to Paragraph 1 by the fact that I
wrote both of them in one post. To my knowledge, Visa's new PCard platform
has nothing to do with Internet-based risk PER SE, but in the long run I'll
doubt we'll lable this a coincidence.

-TD