RFID Driver's licenses for VA

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Oct 7 11:14:17 PDT 2004

So the cops and RFID h4x0rZ can know your true name from a distance.  and
since RFID tags, are what, $0.05 each, the terrorists and ID
counterfitters will be able to make fake ones too... Whee!

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,65243,00.html

RFID Driver's Licenses Debated
By Mark Baard

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,65243,00.html

09:50 AM Oct. 06, 2004 PT

Some federal and state government officials want to make state driver's
licenses harder to counterfeit or steal, by adding computer chips that
emit a radio signal bearing a license holder's unique, personal
information.

In Virginia, where several of the 9/11 hijackers obtained driver's
licenses, state legislators Wednesday will hear testimony about how radio
frequency identification, or RFID, tags may prevent identity fraud and
help thwart terrorists using falsified documents to move about the
country.

Privacy advocates will argue that the radio tags will also make it easy
for the government to spy on its citizens and exacerbate identity theft,
one of the problems the technology is meant to relieve.

<SNIP>

Because information on RFID tags can be picked up from many feet away,

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.