Quantum cryptography gets "practical"

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:57:50 PDT 2004

Oops. You're right. It's been a while. Both photons are not utilized, but
there's a Private channel and a public channel. As for MITM attacks,
however, it seems I was right more or less by accident, and the collapsed
ring configuration seen in many tightly packed metro areas (where potential
customers of Quantum Key Exchange reside) does indeed make such attacks much
easier.

Come to think of it, an intruder that were able to gain access to a CO
without having to notify the public (Patriot Act) should easily be able to
insert themselves into a QKE client's network and then do whatever they want
to (provided, of course, they have the means to crack the 'regular'
encryption scheme used to encode the bits--NSA).

Which means that, should a $75K/year NSA employee want to strike it really,
really rich, they'd be able to procure advanced notice of any
mergers/acquisition deals.

-TD