Quantum cryptography gets "practical"

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 03:27:37 PDT 2004

Tyler Durden wrote:
> An interesting thing to think about is the fact that in dense metro
> areas, you pretty much have a "star" from the CO out to a premise (which
> is the cause of deployment of "Collapsed SONET Rings"). This means the
> other photon of your encrypted pair might easily pass through the same
> CO somewhere, which would make the system suscpetible to a sort of man
> in the middle attack. Or at least, your fancy quantum crypto system has
> defaulted back to standard crypto in terms of its un-hackability.
   Unless I am mistaken as to the Quantum Key Exchange process, only one
photon is ever transmitted, with a known orientation; the system doesn't
use entanglement AFAIK.
   I note also that, as QKE is *extremely* vulnerable to MitM attacks, a
hybrid system (which need only be tactically secure, not strategically
secure) can be used to "lock out" a MitM attacker for long enough that
his presence can be detected, without having to resort to a classical
but unblockable out of band data stream.  I think this is part of the
purpose behind the following paper:
http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/229.pdf
which I am currently trying to understand and failing miserably at *sigh*

> Moral of this story is, even if this thing is useful, you'll probably
> have a very hard time finding a place it can be deployed and still
> retain its "advantages".
I have yet to see an advantage to QKE that even mildly justifies the
limitations and cost over anything more than a trivial link (two
buildings within easy walking distance, sending high volumes of
extremely sensitive material between them)