Suit complicates First Data's move to cut porn tie

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Oct 1 17:04:49 PDT 2004

    --
On 1 Oct 2004 at 10:32, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>  First Data has been terminating all of its contracts with
>  adult entertainment providers as they expire, a spokeswoman
>  said.

Way back at the beginning, cypherpunks said that the internet
could result in alarming loss of privacy, or alarming
improvement in privacy.  As events turned out, it went to
alarming loss of privacy, as Bill Gates, Oliver North and the
porn sites have discovered.

The problem is not irreversible.  If Oliver North had consulted
a ten year old, the kid probably would have told him how to
make sure his emails were really deleted.

I would have thought that the anti-trust debacle would have
inspired Bill Gates to give higher priority to privacy
preserving software.

Now that we finally see potential threats becoming real,
perhaps people will, eventually, belatedly, start covering
themselves from these threats.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     OLPBj3P5+a0AMi3yjd+CWMKIt31RADZCuotKF/Ih
     4pWB1qcPC2GT4Gah22MCAlXN4mbYb7039CZzAK4UZ