Federal program to monitor everyone on the road

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Fri Oct 1 10:03:12 PDT 2004

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/01/federal_program_to_m.html

 Federal program to monitor everyone on the road

Interesting article about the Fed's plans to develop an all-knowing
intelligent highway system.

    Most people have probably never heard of the agency, called the
Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office. And they haven't
heard of its plans to add another dimension to our national road system,
one that uses tracking and sensor technology to erase the lines between
cars, the road and the government transportation management centers from
which every aspect of transportation will be observed and managed.

    For 13 years, a powerful group of car manufacturers, technology
companies and government interests has fought to bring this system to
life. They envision a future in which massive databases will track the
comings and goings of everyone who travels by car or mass transit. The
only way for people to evade the national transportation tracking system
they're creating will be to travel on foot. Drive your car, and your every
movement could be recorded and archived. The federal government will know
the exact route you drove to work, how many times you braked along the
way, the precise moment you arrived -- and that every other Tuesday you
opt to ride the bus.

Link to actual story: http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/news_cover.html

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.  /|\
  \|/  :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
 + v + :    War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.