Tin Foil Passports?

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Nov 27 06:36:24 PST 2004

At 09:13 AM 11/27/04 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>Link: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/27/0026222
>Posted by: michael, on 2004-11-27 05:05:00
>   low-cost solution: '[I]incorporate a layer of metal foil into the
>   cover of the passport so it could be read only when opened.' Don't
>   they know that the whole tinfoil hat thing is supposed to be a
joke?"

What is most poignant about this post is the lack of education
of /. authors.  Don't they teach Maxwell any more?  Is Faraday
just the guy who said
"Sir, I do not know what it is good for.
But of one thing I am quite certain--someday you will tax it."

Put your cell phone in a metal tin, and call it.
Wrap your access point or receiver or other radio in Al foil.
Do you think Brin in _Enemy of the State_ was just a potato-chip
fetishist?