Fallujah: Marine Eye-Witness Report

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:17:36 PST 2004

>Hell, the entire Cold War, John. Including your beloved Viet Nam, which was
>a *battle*, not a war in same. When Castro, and North Korea, etc., finally
>fall, then the cold war will be over.

That war was won (or lost, depending on how you look at it) by the inherent
failures of communism itself, not because the US Government was some kind of
champion of freedom. As I've gone to pains to point out, I think a good
(though not unassailable case) can be made showing that the US probably
slowed down free market development in certain places. Hell--East Asian
communism might rightfully be blamed on the outcome of World War I and the
need to create some kind of anti-western hegemony.

A libertarian might possibly look at the US Government and it's legions of
"Conservatives" as being a sort of tag-along (at best) or leech, grabbing a
ride on the back of certain industries and (of course) "championing them"
against other technologies (eg, defense, oil, autos...). Of course, neocons
will turn red at the notion that they promote a very strong form of
government intervention into private industry...

As for...

>Heck, when China's current
>gerontocracy dies off and has an *election*, the war will be over. They're
>already starting to have private property. So much for "communal"
>ownership. Once property is completely transferrable, the last nail will be
>in the coffin.

Don't count it. Capitalism, like communism, will likely take on it's own
particularly Chinese flavor when hitting the high Refractive Index of that
culture. China's population will near 1.5 Billion before it starts to shrink
again, so don't look for real estate to be a perpetual contract for a
century or two, if ever. Private Property in general (outside of real
estate) has of course existed in China for decades now.

-TD