E-Mail Authentication Will Not End Spam, Panelists Say

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Sun Nov 21 12:36:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:20:59PM -0500, R.A. Hettinga wrote:

> Still, panelists insisted authentication is a vital first step. After that,
> they said, could come a system that evaluates the "reputation" of senders,
> perhaps using a process that marks good e-mail with an electronic seal of
> approval.

which is, btw, not really correct.

I was one of those panelists, and I explicitely stated that
authentication is only the first step, but an important step, which
requires a second step (literally in my slides). So the
first statement seems to be a quote of my talk.

But my statement about the second step was that "reputation" does not
work on an international scale, this works in the U.S. only. It might
even be unlawful in Europe. My proposal was to do the second step
individually for each country.

regards
Hadmut