[osint] Group to launch terrorist database

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 20 17:45:27 PST 2004

Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
Quoting from http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard3.html

I didn't really need to be reminded of that...  Now I
have diet coke all over my keyboard.  Shame on you.

> ==========
> I make a mental note of his license plate. In fact
> , I did that 60 times a minute for 15 and a half
> minutes. Oh dear.. oh dear....
> Looks like another call to the DMV Database
> to register a vehicle as stolen by out of
> town arms dealers...
> ==========

> So when some jackhole cuts you off in traffic,

... accelerate, close and then force him off the road.
Oh, wait. We have cell-phones now and so should rather
telephone the local constabulary and let _them_
apprehend the miscreant.

> now you don't report him as a possible drunk
> driver, now you can turn him into DHS as a
> highway terrorist.

On the other hand, we could save lots of money if we
used bullets that have been drilled out and filled
with mercury.  True, we might have to deal with
PETArds getting in a uproar over the heavy-metal
poisoned wrecks littering the sides of the roads, but
we can write that down as an opportunity cost.  Fight
fire with fire, I say.

>                     Unless he's preemptively
> called you in. Everyone remember the rules
> of the prisoner's game?

I think so, but I should probably go back and refresh
my memory.  Just to be sure.

> Anyway, you already have snitch lines.
> http://www.fbi.gov/page2/oct04/seekinfo103004.htm
> says you can use the online tip form, or contact
> your local FBI office or US embassy. Or your
> police department.

But if I submit a terrorist report to one of those
places will it eventually end up registered in their
terrorism database?  Probably not.  Obviously, they
need a 1-800 number or something that goes straight to
the DHS.

>>[not in favour of large gov't databases]

> Howzabout the difficulty of sorting the useful
> tips out of the chaff when you just know that
> some new spam network will be set up to flood
> the system with bogus yet somewhat plausible tips.

If they don't have a good enough dictionary for their
filters now, they never will.

> Howzabout the difficulty that you - the meat
> blob - will have trying to get your name out

"you - the meat blob."  How flattering.

> of the database after you unfortunately
> happened to be within a 10 mile radius of
> "the real terrorists".

That can't be good.  Is the measure of proximity to
"real terrorists" on a scale that uses a linear
scalar, or a logarithmic one?

> Howzabout the fact that in this day and age
> of the internet and telephone, no one seems
> to have successfully managed to hack up some
> little Law-Enforcement-Only forum where "They"
> go to talk about how to catch terrorists.

I imagine that it would be too hard to screen for
criminals and terrorists completely, rendering the
idea of a private forum moot.

> That's a people problem, really.

No shit.

> Howzabout the fact that all LE organizations
> seem to have a real hard time working
> together, squealing about jurisdiction, etc.

Sounds like bad management if that's still the
problem.  Maybe the cops should hire a few management
consultants and tune their workflow system.  We should
tell them, though, that if they do that they must
remember to brief the consultants thoroughly on the
other consultants from the private sector -- the ones
that are _already_ involved with various things
related to law enforcement.  Good consultants hate
surprises.

> If they were actually serious about getting
> the job done, they'd either put the
> "juris-my-dick-tion bullshit" or there would
> be some presidential directive simply ordering
> everyone to play nice together. I don't think

How about a presidential order that says that they all
have to run and use Peoplesoft (or something similar)
to facilitate better interoperability?  That might
work too.

> either of those are happening, based on the
> number of security czars who seem to be
> retiring suddenly.

I suppose that last bit depends somewhat on the number
who are going into the private sector, as opposed to
those who are going into a `true' retirement from
work.

Regards,

Steve

> --
> GDB has a 'break' feature; why doesn't it have
> 'fix' too?

It's likely they just haven't gotten around to doing
it yet.  Maybe it'll get done for the next major
release.