China's wealthy bypass the banks

ken bbrow07 at students.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 09:01:37 PST 2004

James A. Donald wrote:

>     --
> ken wrote:
>
>>>And when was this stagnation?
>

> R.A. Hettinga wrote:
>
>>Two words: Ming Navy
>

> For those who need more words, the Qing Dynasty forbade
> ownership or building of ocean going vessels, on pain of death
> - the early equivalent of the iron curtain.

Which was a couple of millenia *after* the distinctive Confucian
philosophy became the official code of most  Chinese governments.
So that can't be the reason for Chinese stagnation.  QED.

(Which as TD pointed out better than I could have was short-lived
and nowhere near as general as we used to paint it)

And it was the later Ming period - not Qing