Iraq II, Come to think of it (was...China's wealthy)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:33:26 PST 2004

James Donald wrote...

>Bullshit.  Everyone knew that which the regime decided they
>must know.  And if true, which I very much doubt, you are not
>only arguing that Qin's legalism was a different thing than
>communism/nazism,

This is where the "Simplistic Grid" comes in. The momentum of Chinese
culture will oalways outlive any short-term despotism, and the Chinese on
many levels know this. When it comes to China, even some of the
Han-dominated areas are incredibly difficult to get to, and when you start
talking about Southern parts of Yunnan, most parts of Tibet, and places like
Qinhai and Xinjiang, the idea of a lightening-fast and efficient despotism
starts to sound dubious. Indeed, these areas are only barely under Beijing
control today. It's also a main reason why Burma and the Golden triangle
find it very easy to ship heroin overland through China to Hong Kong rather
than go at it via a more direct route.

>When, during the great leap forward, Peking commanded
>unreasonable grain requisitions from the provinces, *all*
>provinces contributed, and *all* provinces suffered starvation.

Anhui and central China suffered far more than other parts of China. I'd
guess that 70% of the deaths due to starvation during 58 to about 64
occurred in that part of Central China. The obvious reasons were: 1)
Proximity and easy communicatuion with Beijing, and 2) Large tracts of
previously arable land (ie, you don't bother exerting despotism over an area
that can't do much anyway).

>you are also arguing that Mao's communism was
>a different thing than Stalin's communism.

No, I am arguing that Chinese communism was a different thing from Soviet
commusim, for the precise reason that the weight of Chinese history would be
fairly quick to erase Chinese commusim. Any China hand could have predicted
exactly that, and indeed that's precisely what happened. Our decision to
back the far-more corrupt Chiang regime all the way to 1973 or whenever, was
a major blunder, if for no other reason then to accelerate the isolation of
the Soviets. Mao would have been very hip to the manuever, and I bet would
have welcomed it (The Soviets were never very useful to the Chinese
communists). In other words, even a smart rabid anti-communist should have
recognized that backing Mao's "Bandits" was at some point obvious, but most
were far too blinded by their ideology to see that.

The same thing's happening with Iraq and Iran. Iran's making overtures that
we consistently ignore because were too darned dumb and power-oriented to
see the opportunity.

-TD