China's wealthy bypass the banks

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Nov 12 13:58:27 PST 2004

    --
On 12 Nov 2004 at 14:29, Tyler Durden wrote:
> OK, Mr Donald. You clearly imagine the China of 2,500 years
> ago to operate like a modern 20th century nation-state. You
> need to rethink this, given a few simple facts:

My delusion is evidently widely shared:  I did a google search
for legalism.  http://tinyurl.com/56n2m  The first link, and
many of the subsequent links, equated legalism with
totalitarianism, or concluded that legalism resulted in
totalitarianism.

> 1. There were no telephones during Confucious' time.

Pol Pot's goons mostly murdered people by killing them with a
hoe, and mostly tortured people with burning sticks.  Does this
make Pol Pot's Cambodia not a modern nation state?

What made the Ch'in empire a modern despotism was total
centralized control of everything, and a multitude of
regulations with drastic penalties for non compliance.
Telephones are irrelevant.  It was the liberal use of the death
penalty for non compliance, not the telephone, that made it
centralized.

> 2. Several provinces of China are larger than all of Western
> Europe. Even a very high-priority message could take months
> to propagate. 3. "Control' of China 2500 years ago was almost
> nonexistent.

When a provincial commander marched fresh conscripts from place
A to place B, he would do it in the time alloted, and be there
on the date specified, or the Ch'in emperor would cut his head
off.

It is the cut-his-head off bit, and the minute and overly
detailed instructions concocted by a far away bureaucracy, that
made it a modern totalitarianism.

Analogously, in the recent war, Iraqi troops failed to blow
several bridges because they had to wait for orders from
Saddam.  Wireless and telephone did not help.

> It was a geographically, ethnically, and linguistically
> diverse set of quasi-nation-states.

So was the Soviet empire.

> "Law" in early China was NOTHING like what you imagine it to
> be, and was a higly decentralized affair.

So was Stalin's Soviet Empire, and Pol Pot's Cambodia, in the
highly unusual sense of "decentralized" that commie/nazis use.
Pol Pot's Cambodia was, like Ch'in dynasty china, decentralized
in that they had twenty thousand separate killing fields, but
was, like Ch'in dynasty china, highly centralized in that the
man digging a ditch dug it along a line drawn by a man far away
who had never seen the ground that was being dug.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     kIKFSkaq39tHojTf6+FAu2WFT3X6iHJMyTUNi7kx
     4kLyg7PvSEfnbAOwjYFVGCmxNpP52VH6X9inrj6cM