FBI captures Intel staffer with Texas-sized gun cache

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Nov 12 10:15:40 PST 2004

Ha! Made you look!

Cheers,
RAH
See .sig, below...

-------------------

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/11/intel_gun_man/print.html>

The Register

 Biting the hand that feeds IT
The Register ; Odds and Sods ; Bootnotes ;

 Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/11/intel_gun_man/

FBI captures Intel staffer with Texas-sized gun cache
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago (ashlee.vance at theregister.co.uk)
Published Thursday 11th November 2004 19:18 GMT

It's not often that "AK-47" and "Intel" make it into the same sentence, but
that's exactly what just happened after it was learned that a former Intel
employee has been charged with plotting to attack one of the company's
plants in Arizona.

Last month, David Dugan was arrested after agents observed him "picking up
an AK-47 and 1000 rounds of ammunition" at an Arizona gun shop. Dugan had
been under surveillance ever since he allegedly placed a phone call to a
family member, suggesting that he planned to shoot up Intel's Chanlder,
Arizona plant. Intel confirmed that Dugan was a former employee, and
investigators suspect that the man was disgruntled after being fired and
enduring a long-standing dispute over disability payments.

"The criminal complaint charges that on October 16, 2004, Dugan
communicated with a family member in Missouri via telephone, discussing
that Dugan had received a letter of termination from Intel and describing
ways in which Dugan would cause production at Intel to cease and that
people would possibly be hurt at the production facility," the Arizona
District Attorney said in a statement.

Dugan has been charged with one count of of transmitting a threat via the
telephone. He could face up five years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine.

Agents searched Dugan's home and found an AK-47, a loaded rifle, a loaded
shotgun, two handguns and 1800 rounds of ammunition. In Texas, that's known
as "the executive weekend retreat package."

The FBI alleges that Dugan planned to open up gas pipes in the basement of
the Chandler plant and then to begin shooting at machinery. The former
manufacturing technician was looking to cause millions in damages,
according to the FBI's complaint.

A reporter for the Arizona Republic travelled over to Dugan's home and
interviewed some of his neighbors.

"My daughter had seen him out walking his dog," one neighbor told the
paper. "He had just had surgery, and he was very feeble in his walk."

A sign on Dugan's front door said, "No trespassing. No solicitations. Place
nothing on doorknob. Post no bills please," according to the paper. .

Related links

Arizona Republic breaks the story
(http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/1030cr-workplace30Z6.html)

Follow up on assault weapons
(http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/tempe/articles/1110gr-thomason10Z6.html)

Related stories

For sale: missiles, heroin and exploding Barbies
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/11/missiles_and_exploding_barbies/)
Eight fined in eBay auction scam
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/08/ebay_auction/)
'See through clothes' scanner gets outing at Heathrow
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/08/heathrow_scanner_pilot/)
37 arrested in net gun swoop
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/05/met_guns_net/)
Canada offers refuge to distraught Democrats
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/05/canada_offers_refuge/)

) Copyright 2004

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA