The Values-Vote Myth

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Mon Nov 8 15:00:49 PST 2004

On 2004-11-08T10:09:41-0500, John Kelsey wrote:
> Kerry spent essentially no time talking about the creepy implications
> of the Jose Padilla case (isn't he still being held incommunicado,
> pending filing in the right district?), or the US government's use of
> torture in the war on terror despite treaties and the basic
> obligations of civilized people not to do that crap.

Padilla is still in the naval brig in SC, I suppose.  The media seems to
think he's still there, or at least thought so as of mid-September.

They might be trying to do to him what they did to Hamdi, who's in Saudi
Arabia as of a month ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Hamdi#Release
http://www.mail-archive.com/conlawprof@lists.ucla.edu/thrd2.html
(search for Hamdi, there are 8-10 messages about it)

I don't know if Padilla has dual citizenship, so there may not be
another country that would take him.  Apparent citizen-less individuals
(mostly citizens of other countries who won't re-accept them when the
U.S. tries to deport them) end up being incarcerated indefinitely by the
INS.

--
The old must give way to the new, falsehood must become exposed by truth,
and truth, though fought, always in the end prevails.  -- L. Ron Hubbard