In a Sky Dark With Arrows, Death Rained Down

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Nov 7 21:14:43 PST 2004

     --
Peter Gutmann wrote:
 > Nobles expected to surrender to other nobles and be ransomed.
 > Commoners didn't respect this, and almost never took prisoners.
 > Henry's orders didn't make that much difference, at best they were a
 > "we'll turn a blind eye" notification to his troops.

The english army was well disciplined, and in battle did what it what
it was told.  About half way through the battle of Agincourt, King
Henry decided he could not afford so many troops guarding so many
prisoners, and told them kill-em-all.   Nobility had nothing to do
with it.   It did not matter who took you prisoner.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      QwzmnNSSaHhQhQItWATHwnWB7cLchcXDK+wV1pDP
      4p0FRureqYrveRbFxz5h7VDonlv9au7JlTFdp/2BL