This Memorable Day

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 5 23:10:49 PST 2004

ocorrain at yahoo.com (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Tiarn=E1n_=D3_Corr=E1in?=) writes:

>The Russians (for example) conquered Hitler's capital, Berlin. And I believe
>the Russian zone in Germany was larger than any of the others, reflecting the
>fact that Stalin bore most of entire burden of defeating Germany,
>uncomfortable as it may be.

The figure that's usually quoted is that 80% of German's military force was
directed against Russia.  Of the remaining 20%, a lot had already been engaged
by France, the UK (via the BEF, the RAF, North Africa), Greece, etc etc before
the US got involved in Europe.  So the Russians should get most of the credit.

Peter.