The Values-Vote Myth

Eric Cordian emc at artifact.psychedelic.net
Sat Nov 6 14:57:20 PST 2004

J.A. Terranson wrote:

> The fact is that those who did not vote effectively voted for Shrub.  You
> are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem.  Inaction
> is not good enough.

This would only be true if the President were elected by popular vote.

In states where one candidate had a huge majority, the results would not have been
changed.

Also, voting is in some sense political manipulation to blame the population for the
actions of their government.  Everyone who votes is a co-conspirator, and the
argument is made that those who don't vote have no right to dissent.

Any government that requires that I vote, or the torture and war crimes are "my
fault", is broken to start with.

The fundamental definition of Democracy is still "Your neighbors tell you what to
do."  I don't tolerate my neighbors telling me what to do, particularly my neighbors
in the Confederacy, which we should have let keep their Negro guest-workers and drop
out of the union when the opportunity presented itself.

Now they outnumber us, and we are paying for it.

The only government I need is "Leave me alone, or face serious consequences."
Similarly, I leave others alone.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+