Your source code, for sale

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Thu Nov 4 15:01:15 PST 2004

"Tyler Durden" writes:
> So my newbie-style question is, is there an eGold that can be verified, but
> not accessed, until a 'release' code is sent?
>
> In other words, say I'm buying some hacker-ed code and pay in egold. I don't
> want them to be able to 'cash' the gold until I have the code. Meanwhile,
> they will want to see that the gold is at least "there", even if they can't
> cash it yet.
>
> Is there a way to send a 'release' to an eGold (or other) payment? Better
> yet, a double simultaneous release feature makes thing even more
> interesting.

I've been thinking about how to do this kind of thing with ecash.
One project I'm hoping to work on next year is a P2P gambling game (like
poker or something) using my rpow.net which is a sort of play-money ecash.
You'd like to be able to do bets and have some kind of reasonable
assurance that the other guy would pay up if he loses.

In the case of your problem there is the issue of whether the source
code you are buying is legitimate.  Only once you have inspected it and
satisfied yourself that it will suit your needs would you be willing
to pay.  But attaining that assurance will require examing the code in
such detail that maybe you will decide that you don't need to pay.

You could imagine a trusted third party who would inspect the code and
certify it, saying "the source code with hash XXX appears to be legitimate
Cisco source code".  Then they could send you the code bit by bit and
incrementally show that it matches the specified hash, using a crypto
protocol for gradual release of secrets.  You could simultaneously do
a gradual release of some payment information in the other direction.

If you don't have a TTP, one idea for using ecash is Markus Jakobsson's
"Ripping Coins for a Fair Exchange".  Basically you withdraw ecash from
your account and in effect "rip it in half" and give half to the seller.
Now he gives you the product and you give him the other half of the coin.
The idea is that once you have given him the "ripped" ecash ("torn"
would be a better word because ripping means something else today),
you are out the value of the cash.  You have no more incentive to cheat,
as giving him the other half won't cost you anything additional.

(Even without ecash, a service like egold could mimic this functionality.
You'd create an escrow account with two passwords, one known to each
party.  Only with both passwords could data be withdrawn from the account.
Then the buyer would transfer funds into this account.  After receiving
the goods, the buyer would send his password to the seller.)

The problem is that if the source code you are purchasing is bogus,
or if the other side doesn't come through, you're screwed because you've
lost the value of the torn cash.  The other side doesn't gain anything
by this fraud, but they harm you, and if they are malicious that might
be enough.  And likewise you might be malicious and harm them by refusing
to give them your half of the coin even after you have received the goods.
Again, this doesn't benefit you, you're still out the money, but maybe
you like causing trouble.

Another idea along these lines is gradual payment for gradual release
of the goods.  You pay 10% of the amount and they give you 10% of the
source code.  You pay another 10% and you get the next 10% of the source,
and so on.  (Or it could be nonlinear; maybe they give out half the code
for free, but the final 10% requires a large payment.)  The idea is that
you can sample and make sure they do appear to have the real thing with
a fairly small investment.

If there is some mechanism for the seller to have a reputation (like
Advogato's perhaps, with some spoofing immunity) then the problem is
easier; the seller won't want to screw buyers because it hurts his rep.
In that case it may be reasonable to ask the buyer to pay in advance,
perhaps using the partial payment system just discussed.

These various ideas all have tradeoffs, and in general this kind of
problem is hard to solve because of the complexity of what constitutes a
successful transaction.  A reputation system helps a great deal to resolve
the issues, but opens up problems of its own.  The betting problem I
want to work on is relatively easy because there is no ambiguity about
who wins, but even then it is hard to make sure that neither party can
maliciously harm the other.

Hal F.