campus network admins

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 01:00:37 PST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 02:34:46 -0500, cypher at tediouspath.com
<cypher at tediouspath.com> wrote:

> I recently violated the network user agreement (they packet-sniffed and
> got the username/password for my FTP server and didn't like what I was
> sharing with myself) and was informed by the admin that I am now 'under
> observation' and that they "hope I don't like privacy". Considering
> this admin was an NSA employee, I tend to take that threat a little
> seriously. Two questions:

Yes, it's not wise to mock the people who busted you to their faces.
Scheming requires more subtlety. Kinda like doing a big smoky burnout
and leaving a hundred feet of rubber on the road in front of the cop
who just gave you a speeding ticket is a bad idea.

> 1) I'm assuming they can legally look at anything that comes in or out
> of my computer, but is that the case? Can they look at my computer
> itself, or take me off the network for the private contents of my
> computer?

Read the agreement and see. Are you doing something illegal? Are you
doing something that exposes the network owners to risk of some sort?
Is it your personal hardware or was it provided to you by the network
owners. Was there a clause in your terms of service that says the
network owners can monitor/audit use, yadda yadda yadda...? Depending
on the perceived severity of the infraction, your local security or
police officers may be coming to pay a visit and impound your machine.
Depending on which political backwater or fascist/EpithetOfChoice
regime you live under, they could very well be doing you a favor. Or
they could be covering their butts. Whatever - you got the short end
of the stick.

> 2) Is there some sort of service I can use to have everything I do on the
> network encrypted, such as a tunneling service to the internet?

In other words "I did something that got me in trouble, I know what
I'm doing is wrong, or at least if I do it again, I'll get in more
trouble. Please help me to do these bad things and stay out of
trouble." Be honest. It's OK to say yes.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: SSH tunnels, IPSec tunnels, ssl-ized protocols,
mixmasters, freenets, onion routers, and buying your own network
connection from a 3rd party are all valid options. I'm sure that if
you google for things like internet privacy service, the likes of
anonymizer (just the first one that came to mind) will turn up. There
are plenty of very low cost solutions if you're willing to try stuff
that may break your machine for a while causing you to learn stuff the
hard way. :)

If there's stuff I shouldn't be doing at work (like consulting), well,
that's what my home net is for. Perhaps you might want to carefully
consider why your administration doesn't want you doing stuff with
their network in light of what it costs to have their class of network
activity. Now let's run that kind of pipe to your house, and bridge in
an open wireless access point. I bet it wouldn't make you very happy
to find other people abusing your network connection.

Pretend you've been downloading 5 gigs of movies a day over cleartext
bittorrent. You get busted, so rather than not doing that, you switch
to an encrypted protocol, but continue to generate 5 gigs a day with
your computer, and you're still talking to a similar bunch of hosts.
Traffic analysis says we suspect you of being up to your old tricks.
In this case one technical countermeasure does not help because the
problem is higher up the stack... at the chair-to-keyboard interface
layer.

This may be a bit vague - no idea who you are or where you live, so I
am generalizing. Simple truths: You have pissed off The Man - assume
for the next little while that he's watching (and is seeing this).
There are certain technologies available which may help you, but
consider the behavioural, economic, legal and political factors as
well.