This Memorable Day

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 2 20:21:19 PST 2004

"R.A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> writes:
>At 3:32 AM +1300 11/3/04, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> writes:
>>>No cypherpunks content. Just local politics.
>>
>>And it's not even original, they've mostly just translated it into English,
>>updated it a bit (e.g. League of Nations -> UN), and changed the Russian names
>>and references to Middle Eastern ones.
>
>Yup. That's Davis' point, actually. Fuck with the West, we kick your ass.

Well it wasn't the point I was trying to make, which was comparing it to
predictions made by (the propaganda division of) another super-power in the
mid 1940s about winning an unwinnable war because God/righteousness/whatever
was on their side, and all they had to do was hold out a bit longer.  Compare
the general tone of the WSJ article to the one in e.g. the first half of
http://www.humanitas-international.org/showcase/chronography/documents/htestmnt.htm.

Peter.